Mass spectrometry: a powerful and versatile analysis technique
Mass spectrometry is a technique used to analyse molecules according to their mass. It is capable of measuring ultra-trace quantities, i.e. minute quantities in the nanogram or picogram range. It is therefore irreplaceable for detecting substances in low concentrations.
Our partner SIS/ADAPTAS is a company that has specialised in the supply of mass spectrometry products and services for over 30 years. BCP Instruments has represented SIS in France since 1989. This partnership enables us to provide a top-quality service and ensures that we receive ongoing attention from SIS, demonstrating the close collaboration between our two companies. Please contact us for more information about our products and services.
Areas of application and definition
Mass spectrometry is used in all areas of science, including :
- chemistry, to identify the structure and composition of organic or inorganic molecules,
- biology, to study proteins, nucleic acids, lipids or metabolites,
- medicine, to diagnose illnesses, detect drugs or monitor treatments,
- physics, to measure isotopes, elements or particles,
- astrophysics and geology, to analyse the composition of stars, planets and rocks.
To carry out a mass spectrometry analysis, the molecules need to be ionised, i.e. given an electrical charge. Next, the ions are separated according to their mass-to-charge ratio, i.e. the ratio between the mass of the ion and the number of charges it carries. Finally, the ions need to be detected and their intensity recorded, i.e. the number of ions with the same mass/charge ratio. The result is a mass spectrum, which represents the intensity of the ions as a function of their mass-to-charge ratio.
Discover the SIS/ADAPTAS mass spectrometry offer
SIS/ADAPTAS offers a complete range of mass spectrometry products and services, from consumables and software to maintenance and training. It guarantees high-quality products that comply with current standards and are delivered as quickly as possible. SIS/ADAPTAS also offers customised services, tailored to your specific needs and provided by experts.
To help you carry out your mass spectrometry analyses, we offer a range of quality products and services, including :
- Cleaning products to maintain your machines and prevent contamination.
- Wires and ribbons to ionise your samples using a variety of methods.
- Made-to-measure seals to ensure your machines are watertight and prevent leaks.
- Activated carbon filters to purify the air and prevent interference.
- SIMION® 3D simulation software, to model your mass spectra and optimise your parameters.
- Electron multipliers, to amplify the signal from your detectors and improve sensitivity; in particular the ETP AF133H, DeTech 2300, DeTech 2800 and DeTech 382.
- Filament reconditioning, to extend the life of your ionisation sources and reduce costs. For example, we repair EI filament for JEOL Accutofand LECO MS Pegasus BT-ToF filament. For example, we repair EI filament for JEOL Accutof and LECO MS Pegasus BT-ToF filament.
- Finally, the WILEY et NIST mass spectra libraries, to compare your mass spectra with those of thousands of referenced molecules and facilitate identification. Note that the Multiformat/Shimadzu version will soon be available in 2023.
Other consumables and spare parts
NIST & WILEY
Other miscellaneous supplies
Do you need laboratory equipment and/or consumables?
Feel free to contact us at any time.